DIY Gold Polka-Dot Art: Perfect for a Nursery, Bedroom or Any Room!

I love DIY projects---especially ones that make a big impact for little cost.  When I saw this piece of art on Pinterest awhile ago, I pinned it and had intended to replicate it for our master bedroom.  But when I started to design our baby girl's nursery, I thought the whimsical polka dots would actually be perfect for the space since gold is one of the accent colors I'm using in the artwork.


The only difference was that I made mine in a larger size than the one above.  I used an IKEA RIBBA frame in the 20 1/2 inch by 28 1/4 inch size, which is also the size I used to frame my "Keep Calm and Carry On" and "LOVE" prints from MadeByGirl.

As far as supplies, this project is super low-key.  I purchased some shiny gold scrapbook paper and glitter scrapbook paper (I used a gold/silver combo glitter because I liked the look better than solid gold glitter).  Each sheet cost $1.99 at Michael's Arts & Crafts and I didn't even use a full sheet to complete the piece.


Then, all you need is a pair of good scissors, a pencil, something to trace,  a piece of white poster board and a glue stick. I used a Pottery Barn candle holder to trace my circles because I really liked the size of polka dots it produced. If you wanted larger polka dots, you could use a champagne glass (to clarify, I used the top of the candle holder which isn't show in the above photo, not the large base, but the part where the actual candle would be held).

I traced circles onto the back of the scrapbook paper, cut out the polka dots until I felt I had enough (I would say I did about 24 of each- shiny gold and glitter gold).  

When I finished cutting out the polka dots, I opened up the Ribba frame, pulled out the matting and  cut a piece of white poster board to match the size of the matting (cut it a tiny bit smaller than the matting so it's easy to tape on).  Then, I taped the poster board to the back of the matting so I could being to plan the placement of the polka dots.


Just like the original piece, I layered some of the dots and some are just hanging out on their own. Once I was satisfied with the placement of the polka dots, I used a glue stick to affix each one to the poster board until it was complete.

Then, I cleaned the glass on the frame, removed some glitter that had fallen onto the matting and voila, a piece of art was complete!

(my husband held it up for me so I could see how it looks on the wall)

(Hanging out next to my LOVE print from MadeByGirl)


Also, I just had to share this adorable bunny I got at Target the other day...too sweet!

Have you ever replicated an art project you saw on Pinterest?  Share your favorite projects in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment