Blake Lively's Lively Locks: The New York Times Comments on the Serena Vanderwoodsen Hair Obsession

Today I read an article in The New York Times titled "A ‘Gossip Girl’ Look, Pronto!" about the growing popularity of Blake Lively's luscious, long, bohemian waves.



Ever since the show premiered, I have coveted Blake's character Serena Vanderwoodsen's long, seemingly care-free, loose, unfussy waves. She has this thick, healthy looking hair that seems impossible to achieve without the aid of multiple tracks of hair extensions- but it is widely rumored that Blake's locks are all-natural (aside from her color- she gets it touched up every 6 months, says the article).

So, is Blake's hair the new "Rachel" as the article suggests? What do you think? Apparently women in NYC have been flocking to salons in droves requesting Blake's hair cut and style -but the catch is, not every woman can achive the look without extensions.

From the article:

“Trouble is, some girls are born with amazing hair,” said Mr. Wilson of Bumble and bumble, adding that hair like Ms. Lively’s “sets an unrealistic expectation.”

The article continues:


“It’s aspirational hair,” said John Barrett, whose salon sits atop Bergdorf Goodman in Midtown Manhattan. Clients, Mr. Barrett said, “don’t just want the hair, they want the life.”


In the last six months, Ms. Lively’s cut — an exercise in studied dishevelment — has been his most requested. “I didn’t really realize the extent of it,” Ms. Lively said of her hair’s popularity, though she had an inkling: fashion forerunners like Vogue staffers routinely approach her at events and fixate on her hair, she said.


Can I just comment how much I love the hair expression "studied dishevelment?" It perfectly describes her hair. Oftentimes, looks that are supposed to look "undone" and a bit messy, can actually take some time and effort to achieve...though there have been a few instances where I was lucky enough to have slept on my second day hair in just the right way that it had the messy look, without the work.

Do you love Blake's hair? Have you ever tried to style your hair like hers or requested her hair style at your last hair appointment?

I always ask my hair dresses to blow-out my hair and make it really volumized and bouncy with a little wave to it. It always makes me feel fab to walk out of the salon with hair that is always smoother and more precisely styled that I can do myself!

In fashion news, today I saw a new website called Rent the Runway. The concept is simple: choose a designer dress from their site, they will ship it to you in two sizes (just in case!), you wear the gorgeous frock to an event, ship it back to them in the provided already-addressed envelope, and they take care of the dry-cleaning. I didn't see the rest of the site because I haven't signed up- but would this appeal to you?

For me, it would have to be about the cost of renting versus buying. I can't imagine paying event $100 to rent a dress, unless it was a major floor-lenght gown to wear to a very major black-tie event. I can see how this service might be great for people who have a lot of events to attend and are publis figures who want to appear to always have the latest styles...but for the average girl like me, I'm happy scoring a deal on a great dress that can stay in my closet for a long time.

Would you use this service? It's kind of like Bag, Borrow or Steal, but for clothing, of course.

Let me know in the comments below, and as always, thank you SO much for reading and sharing all of your thoughts with me!

xoxo,

Veronika.

0 comments:

Post a Comment