The Prettiest Baby Bibs from FHJ Baby

Today I have an interview with Francis---she's a mom of three beautiful girls and blogs over at It's a Pink Life. I love the story of how she started her own successful baby bibs business and wanted to share it with you all!  Her online store is called FHJ Baby and below you'll read all about what inspired her to start a business as a busy mom of three.
Francis and her three beautiful girls! Serena, Layla and Mariam
Some of Francis' adorable FHJ Baby bibs

Before we get into the interview, I'll share with you the gorgeous bib Francis sent for my little Harper. I love the unique colors and prints she offers and also how pretty and feminine the bibs look!
How did you decide to start your business?
I started thinking about having my own business when I got back from maternity leave after having my second daughter Layla in 2011. There were a lot of internal changes going on within me that had to do with the journey in conceiving Layla which included a miscarriage, how I handled the stress and responsibility from my job that I was no longer happy with, and the time I got to spend with the girls. I had already decided I wanted to stay home with the girls, but knew I also wanted to run my own business to keep my plate full and still bring in a little extra income for my family. I hadn’t sewn in quite some time but I still loved it. I wanted to start creating things again and sharing them with the world. Designing and sewing have always been a passion of mine. I put my notice in, and my last day was the end of December 2011. I didn’t launch FHJ Baby till 8 months later last year in August while I was 7 months pregnant with my third daughter Mariam. Leave it to me to start something when I already have something going on! I’ve always been used to juggling a lot and I knew that this was something I could do. I wasn’t exactly sure how, but I knew I’d figure it out.

Why bibs? What inspired you?
The funny thing is, while I was inspired by this cute bib that was given to Layla, I was actually going to start off making baby mittens with velcro. Layla had the habit of scratching herself and any mittens I would find at the stores would always fall off! I used to just put socks on her hand. They would stay put, but they weren’t really cute. Back to the bibs though, I never really could find cute and functional bibs that fit my taste, so I just decided I was going to have to make some myself. Bibs are a staple, and I love how they provide the perfect background to really do all sorts of things with. I also love unique things and you can’t find my designs anywhere else. Feeding and drooling can be messy, but it doesn’t have to be ugly. The bibs can also serve as an accessory on top of apparel protecting.

As a mom of three girls, how do you balance it all?
Planning ahead is a must. That and sticking to schedules and being organized. Rarely do I ever wake up during the week not knowing what’s going to go on that day. I have dozens of notes stored in my phone. Everything from the activities my oldest has that week, to what we are eating for dinner, to ideas, and what business matters I need to tend to. My two youngest are 16 months apart and the beginning was hard…..oh God was it hard. From birth to around 3 months, Mariam would cry all day long if she wasn’t nursing, or napping. All this was going on while I was still figuring out the ropes of running a business from home and trying to find the time to work on it. My one saving grace was that Mariam thankfully was a decent sleeper at night. I only sew or make accessories during their naps or once they go to sleep at night. I never want to cut into their time minus a few minutes to return emails or business social media while they are awake. If I’m getting behind I’ll do some work in the evenings once my husband is home and with the girls. My family always comes first.

What are your goals for your business in the next few years?
My goals for FHJ Baby are to expand into several more boutiques both in the US and internationally and to design more products such as children’s wear and maternity. I’ve had some help from a friend here and there, and my husband helps me with my computer related questions for the website and I bounce ideas off of him, but I’ve done all the sewing myself and plan on keeping FHJ Baby proudly made in the USA. I’m happy to report that I recently just hired my first seamstress, and I hope to be able to create more jobs for other women looking to provide some extra income for their family. I’d also love for the business to continue so it can be something that I can pass onto my daughters. Another goal of mine is also to give back and help those in need and I’ve got a few ideas in mind.


Any new products we should get excited about?
Yes! I’m crossing my fingers that by spring 2014 I’ll be able to launch my first maternity item. It’s going to be awesome and what I hope to eventually be a staple in a lot of expecting mother’s closets. There are also plans for baby/toddler clothes as well.

What is your favorite part of your day?
You mean other than once the kids are all in bed and asleep? Ha-ha! I really enjoy the mornings after breakfast when it’s peaceful and quiet. The baby goes down for her first nap and Layla and I might go in the backyard for a little bit or work on flashcards or do something else fun.

What advice do you have for moms who want to start a business?
Starting a business is a lot like jumping out of an airplane and assembling the parachute on the way down. You just have to take that leap. Running a business and a family is not easy. If you’re serious about it expect to work hard. Really hard. Also surround yourself with positive people who support you, don’t be afraid to ask for help, and try to get some sleep at night. Everything seems worse than it is if you’re exhausted.

Francis has generously offered a 25% off code for my readers---please use the code Blush25 at checkout in her online store or Etsy shop.  Happy shopping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment