Working on a Weekend & Making A Mark

Today I attended/worked at the opening celebration for Making a Mark , presented by The Periwinkle Foundation at the children's hospital where I work. Making A Mark enables children with cancer or hematological disorders and their siblings to celebrate self-expression and empowerment through creativity as a vital part of their healing process.

It's such an incredible program because it helps take children's minds off of their treatment and empowers them to share their feelings through the art they create. I feel fortunate to work for an organization that really focuses on caring for the whole child---physically and emotionally.


Each year patients create pieces of art that are displayed at the hospital and then travel around the world. Then, the art is auctioned off and pieces are also available for purchase at the event (the previous year's pieces are sold).  They make wonderful gifts and are fun to display in a child's room or playroom. We had two local TV stations come and cover the event which is awesome!


I wanted to be comfortable so I wore this BR dress that my mom got for me when she was visiting and a trusty pair of bow flats. The dress is super comfy...glad I also got it in a royal blue color! (and they were on sale, for about $50 originally $130)
Dress- Banana Republic (similar, similar, love this too) | Sweater- J.Crew | Shoes- J.Crew Factory | Bag- Kate Spade Gold Coast Ginnie (similar KS, another KS style) | Sunglasses- c/o Lulus | Necklace- VeryJane.com

Here are some of my favorite pieces of art from the event:
These are real hand castings of some of our patients!
I also purchased a piece of art from last year's exhibit. It was made by a 5 year old cancer patient named Ella. She created this piece of art by using tissue paper with water over it to transfer onto the paper and then traced the shapes with a marker. I think I may use it in Harper's nursery somewhere.  It's so special and the donation goes right back to the cancer center at the hospital.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment