Master Bedroom Update: New Campaign Style Nightstands

Decorating has always been one of my biggest passions. I truly believe that coming home to a space you find beautiful and relaxing improves your day-to-day life. 

Having said that, our master bedroom has always been very blah to me (and still is). I don't love that it doesn't have a lot of windows and that overall is just feels really boring.  Part of the reason for that is because I never prioritized the space.  Because our kitchen, dining room and living room are all in one, large, open concept space on one floor, I prioritized decorating our second floor because we spend the most time there (though, I still need window treatments for the second floor).

Our master bedroom still has a long way to come, but we've made a small improvement by switching out our bedside tables.  I had H do a popular IKEA hack to make new bedside tables that were larger, brighter and more suited to the scale of the room and our king- sized bed.

He followed this campaign dresser tutorial from the blog Sequins & Stripes.  I didn't post step-by-step instructions on my blog because we followed that blog's directions and bought all of the same products except for the paint color (we used a different shade of white by BEHR and did not use a high gloss paint because it as not available in no VOC formula).

Here is what our night stands looked like before (also from IKEA):


See how they're so small you can hardly see them next to the bed?  They also didn't have a lot of storage and I like to keep books and magazines by the bed.

The new ones look like this:


I am really pleased with how they turned out. The project also means that we now own an electric drill. I told H to watch out---now that he completed this project, I know I'll have many more to add to his list.  

So, whats next for the master bedroom?  
  • Artwork on the walls---I am thinking above the bed because that wall is so bare and could be a great focal point
  • Mirrors above the nightstands (I just need to find the perfect size!) I'd love to do gold framed ones
  • Possibly moving the tall, thinner dresser to another side of the room
  • possibly adding a chair in one of the corners
I would just love to make our master bedroom a space I love walking into everyday, like our kitchen, dining room and living room.  

My next decorating focus will be the nursery, but I'd like to work on the master bedroom as well before the baby comes.  


Hope everyone is enjoying the first day of 2013!

0 comments:

Post a Comment