The Argument for Shapewear: A Review of Jockey's New Line with Rachel Zoe


As you know from a previous post I wrote on wearing the right bra, I'm pretty passionate about undergarments. This includes shapewear. Yes, shapewear.†Some women view shapewear as "their little secret," and that's totally fine with me, but if you've never worn it before, I'm about to make the argument for why you should consider it.

Shapewear can benefit all body types. It can make dresses and skirts skim better on the body and it can smooth out your curves. †I also use slips underneath certain skirts that have a sheer lining (like my navy blue lace skirt from Zara).

I recently had the opportunity to review pieces I received from Jockey's new collection†curated†by the lovely Rachel Zoe (who I totally love, like whoa). †I am seriously bananas for her--we share a love for beachy hair, pants that hit the floor, and dark nail polish.

The new pieces I got to test out are†Rachel Zoeís ìMajor Must Havesî from Jockey. Rachelís selections include intimates (panties and camisole) and shapewear. As Rachel and I both know--and preach--itís not just about what you wear on the outside; whatís underneath counts just as much.
Because I love Rachel's style (seriously, can I please be one of her clients?), I was not at all surprised to see how cute the prints on the undies were.



The three pairs above are all very comfortable--the top is a hipster style, the middle a low-cut bikini, and the bottom a thong. †The hipster pair is made from a super-stretchy fabric and features a lilac-colored lace waistband. The other two pairs are a soft cotton featuring pretty geometric prints. †I've had a chance to wear them all and love them. †The pair with the lace waistband is particularly flattering. †For those wondering, I take a size medium in all three styles.



Onto the†shapewear. Undergarments are to the body what foundation is to your makeup routine. In the same way you use foundation to create a smooth, even base for the rest of your makeup, shapewear is like a primer for your clothes. †It helps bring out the best in what you wear. †This isn't to say you should wear it daily, but there are certain ensembles that benefit incredibly from the solid foundation shapewear provides.†

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, shapewear can benefit all body types. †Even if you're thin or don't have a lot of problem areas, shapewear can make a dress or skirt lay more nicely on the body (especially if you have a dress that's particularly clingy). †I oftentimes wear a nude-colored slip under some dresses I own, simply because I like the way the fabric falls when I wear it. (Also, a slip has totally saved me from†embarrassment†on a windy day, if you catch my drift.) Shapewear is also a great choice if you do have a problem area or maybe if you're a new mom and want to smooth things out as you're shaping back up. †Whatever your body type or concerns, it's worth a try.

Jockey's shapewear line is made with high-quality stretch fabric and super-soft cotton. †It has a patented three-panel design that slims and shapes without causing discomfort. †Personally, my favorite pieces of shapewear are skirt slips and full slips. †Since I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, these styles work best in my wardrobe.

My favorite piece from the line was this full slip, called the Slip Shaper. †It can be worn under dresses, but I have also worn it with a skirt and top.

My favorite part about this slip is that the top is made of the softest, smoothest cotton. †I actually don't think I would have liked it if the top was the same fabric as the skirt. †I loved that it felt soft on top and not compressing like the bottom part.

The one feature that impressed me most was the silicone band at the bottom of the skirt part that prevents slipping. †It's meant to keep your shapewear in place. †The one thing that disappointed me a bit about the skirt slip, however, was the length. †I wish it had been 4 or 5 inches longer. However, I realize that they make these pieces for the average woman and not a woman who is 5'10" tall like me. †Despite the fact that I could have used a few extra inches of length, I still enjoyed wearing it, and it smoothed things out and allowed me to wear a skirt that has a more sheer lining. (Seriously, retailers, why make a dark-colored skirt without adequate lining?)

Full slips are most impactful when worn under dresses. You will be amazed at how much your silhouette will shine when you take the extra step to smooth things out before you complete your outfit. It's like under-eye brightener for your body--it just perks things up.

Next up was this shapewear tank, called the Strappy Tank. †I don't really gravitate toward tanks for shapewear, but I can say this one is very well made and has the soft cotton at the top for added comfort, just like the full slip. †Once again, I do wish this were longer because I have a super-long torso (seriously, I'm like a giraffe), but if you are of average height it will be a perfect fit. †This tank would be best suited for someone who really wants to refine her midsection. †


Finally, I got to test out the shapewear shorts, called the Tummy Short. I was kind of against shorts for shapewear because I prefer skirt slips, but I guess you shouldn't knock what you haven't tried. I quite enjoyed these. †Especially since I tend to carry any extra weight in my hips, thighs and butt, which is exactly the areas these shapewear shorts target. †They can be worn under pants or skirts (or dresses!). †These are made of super-soft, super-stretchy cotton.
Rachel Zoe's Major Must Haves" from Jockeyare available now in†major retailers,†Jockey outlet storesand onJockey.com. Since†the full product line is available now, we†will all benefit as we hit the candy at Halloween and turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes during Thanksgiving; believe me, you will thank me.

Before I go, please don't forget to enter into a random drawing for a $100 Jockey gift card. † To enter, please leave me a comment below (include your email address, please!) telling me a time you WISH you had been wearing shapewear. †Don't be shy, ladies. ;)
Good luck and thanks for entering!


Rules: No Purchase Necessary.†No duplicate comments.

You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods: (a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post, (b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: "#SweepstakesEntry"; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post, (c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post,(d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.

This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.

The Official Rules are available here.

This sweepstakes runs from 11/7 to 12/6.

Be sure to visit the Jockey brand page on BlogHer.com, where you can read other bloggers' reviews and find more chances to win!

0 comments:

Post a Comment