Motivation Mondays- Meet Fit Momma Luba!

Motivation Mondays are a long overdue feature that I wanted to bring back.  You can all thank one of my lovely readers, Luba, who inspired me to start up this feature again.

Speaking of motivation, I want to thank everyone who has been participating in the 30 Day Challenge updates that I post on
my Facebook page.        
After working out consistently for the last two weeks, I feel so reinvigorated that I wonder how I ever stopped.  Nothing completes my day quite like a great workout. I’m sleeping better and feeling better both physically and mentally.

Okay, back to Motivation Mondays---Meet Luba---she’s a former office manager turned stay-at-home-momma to an adorable little girl and she’s here to share with us her love of working out and clean eating.

I first interacted with Luba via email and soon we felt like old friends.  She shared outfits with me and this gal’s got style.  Here’s what she had to say:


Have you always eaten clean and exercised or is that something that took time?
This is definitely a no for the clean eating. When I first started thinking about how I eat was in my early twenties,however it was when I was pregnant that I really had to watch what I eat.  I had borderline gestational diabetes during pregnancy, so I had to get my sugar count every other day to keep my sugar in check.  Sugar is what really matters in food, it goes straight to our problem areas.  I had to get creative when it came to my diet, so I switched it up with fruits like watermelon and pears.  It made me more aware of the foods we put in our mouth and I started researching organic foods.  I switched to organic milk and fruits, cage-free eggs, Greek yogurt, and the list goes on. I was more aware of what I was putting in my body, and I started seeing the difference in my body and energy level.


As far as exercise, it is what brought me and my now husband together.  Everyday after high school we would head to the YMCA.  That is where my love for fitness bloomed.  Over the years, I have slacked off, but when I became preggo, it hit me hard that I really needed to take care of myself so I can be the best mom for my baby.  I started doing Pilates for pregnancy DVDs after work, and walking at least 1 hour a day. During my sixth month [of pregnancy], I moved back to Florida to be closer to family, and I went to the beach almost everyday to swim and do laps in the ocean.  I also continued to walk throughout my entire pregnancy.

0luba5
0luba2

What does a typical day look like for you when it comes to eating and working out (examples of breakfast, lunch,dinner and snacks)?

Breakfast: Scrambled cage free organic eggs, Greek yogurt w/ honey, organic whole grain waffle w/ slices of banana.  I love green tea and Starbucks Pikes Roast.  My breakfast is the biggest meal for me. 

Workout: Pilates routine, Reverse Crunches (3 sets of 100), Push-Ups (3 sets of 20), and Squats (3 sets of 25)

Snack: A fruit/veggie smoothie (I use whatever I have, example: carrots, apples, bananas, quail egg, probiotic powder)

Lunch: I’ll typically have a sandwich, here is an example of what I had today:
Ezekiel sprouted bread w/ guacamole spread.  Boar’s Head Turkey Deli Meat, Tomatoes,cucumber, 1 slice of American Cheese.  I like having a cup of green tea with my lunch. Sometimes instead of green tea, I will have a glass of Organic Whole Milk.  I am a huge milk fan!


Workout: I take my baby and we head outdoors for a speed walk.  I spend anywhere from 1-2 hours outside depending on where we go.

Dinner: I am huge on cooking soups.  A huge role model in my life is my grandfather who passed away at 98.  He always ate soups and drank tea.  He said it is important for our digestive system, and it has stuck with me through all these years.  I love experimenting and trying new recipes. I make at least two pots a week and we will have a cup/bowl with dinner.  Some of my go to soups are Organic Chicken Veggie Soup (carrots, potatoes, celery) and Ukrainian Borsh(beet soup).  I also love the blog Ladydiarist.com.  She has great recipes for dinners and is all about clean eating. Example of dinner would be: A cup of soup, a side of rice and steamed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, etc). I am also a big fan of cooking a whole chicken (Organic, Cage-Free) and eating it throughout the week, and using leftovers to make soup. 

Speaking of which, what are some of your favorite healthy snacks?

  • Greek Yogurt with organic blackberry jam or honey
  • Apples, Bananas, Watermelon,Raspberries, Kiwi, Pears (I love making smoothies
  • Raisin Granola
  • Talenti Gelato – Vanilla Bean (Just be careful not to eat the whole pint since this is a treat ;)
  • Almonds
  • Hummus with pita bread
 
What kinds of workouts are your favorite? Do you stick to one type of workout or do you like to mix it up?

I love pilates!  I normally do about 1 hour a day including my ab workouts.   I learned all the pilates routines from a DVD.  Walking is an everyday thing, it’s a part of my lifestyle and when I spend time with my baby.  Also kegel exercises are important ;)

0luba8

Do you have any favorite home workout videos?
Some of my favorites that I have used in the past are: 10 Minute Solution Pilates, Elle Glam Fitness DVDs.  I have memorized the routines, so I don’t need to watch the DVDs anymore.  I just turn on music and go! 



0luba10   
How did you keep fit during your pregnancy?
Swimming, walking, and pilates for pregnancy.  A great DVD is Pain-Free Pregnancy.  It’s a little old school,however, she has some great tips to reduce back pain and increase energy.



0luba1 0luba3

After having your baby, what did you do to get back into shape?  You look incredible! Thank you! Before I go into this, I think it is important to be healthy before getting pregnant and during pregnancy.  This helped me quickly return to my normal size.  I definitely give the biggest credit to breastfeeding.  Since I was breastfeeding, I couldn’t cut down on calories, so instead I ate clean and kept up with my walking and pilates. Also I drink about a gallon of water a day because of bf.

I was patient with myself, and didn’t force the issue.  If I had to say one thing, please don’t forget to eat! That’s the most important thing.  You need the energy to be able to take care of your child.

0luba6

How do you find the time to work out as a busy mom? It was a challenge in the first few months.  I felt like all I was doing was breastfeeding and changing diapers.  I just focused on eating healthy and went for walks in the afternoons. After a couple months, I started doing pilates for 30 minutes a day and I increased my time gradually.  I would work out during her naps.  Now that she is older, she will be in the same room as me while I work out so it definitely is easier!

A lot of moms get so busy that they forget to eat right---what do you do to ensure you're staying on track with eating right? I actually find that I eat healthier now than before I had a baby. I want to be an example for my baby.  I eat when she eats, and we eat mostly the same foods which makes it easier.  I make most of my baby food from scratch. 

I need to eat to stay fit.  To me, eating is part of fitness.  I wouldn’t look the way I do if I didn’t eat the way I eat.  I don’t diet though, I just eat clean and focus on what exactly is the nutritional value in what I am putting into my system.

0luba9

Where do you love to shop most? TJ Maxx  (it’s right by my house). If I do go to the mall, I love Dillards,Banana Republic, and Forever 21. I shop mostly online.  I love eBay! I find the best deals on designer name items. 


What are your top five favorite hair and makeup products?
  • Kiehl's Olive Fruit Nut Shampoo &Conditioner
  • Alba Unpetroleum Multi Purpose Jelly (my makeup remover and moisturizer for night time)
  • Benefit Brows a-go-go
  • Benefit Badgal Lash
  • Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
  • Benefit Hoola Blush

Who is your style inspiration?
I love Pintrest for inspiration. I love Olivia Palermo, Mila Duma, Kate Bosworth.  I only recently learned about bloggers and you were the first one I was drawn too.  I love your classic style and hair!  (aww thank you!)


I love colors, prints, and textures.  I love experimenting.  I don’t put myself in a box, I like all types of styles, I find beauty in everything.  I have an instagram account: lubalovely and I love finding inspiration there as well. 
0luba7

What is the most rewarding part of being a mother?
The unconditional love I feel for my baby.  The love is greater than anything I have felt.  I feel so fulfilled and complete.  Watching her grow has been unreal.  It’s a blessing to be able to experience all her firsts.  I thank God everyday for this season he has given me to stay at home with her.

Thank you SO much Luba, for motivating us this Monday! You can leave a comment below if you have any questions for Luba and I will ask her to come and answer them.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY MONDAY---and, while we’re all here, if you want to do your 30 Day Challenge check-in, feel free to do so in the comments!

xoxo,

Veronika.

0 comments:

Post a Comment