29.

Today is my 29th birthday. It's an age that has always made me feel nervous because when you're younger, 30 tends to be the age you assess all of the expectations you had in your twenties and contemplate whether or not they were met. You hope to accomplish certain goals by then---and 29 is the age where you sort of start panicking about what you have and haven't accomplished.


As I sit here at 29 and reflect on the last few decades of my life, I am reminded of how lucky and blessed I am...and all of those worries about 30 being just around the corner are fading as I think about where I am today.


When I was younger, I never thought I would have the kind of life that I have now. It’s no secret that I didn’t have a storybook childhood---but looking back, I don’t know that I would have changed it because it made me the woman I am today and I think that going through what I have has actually made a more compassionate and loving person.
I never dreamed that at 29, I’d be married, live in a beautiful house, have a job that is incredibly fulfilling and people in my life that I know I can count on for the rest of it, whatever it may bring.

Most importantly, my life now has really forced me to think about the power of gratefulness. In my 2012 resolutions post, I said that one of my goals was to be more grateful for all I have. It’s so easy nowadays to get caught up in comparison and thinking about who is where in life and what they have that you don’t (a better job, a smaller waist, a bigger house, anything really). We all struggle with that at times and taking the time to thank God for what you have instead of asking for what you don’t has really proved to me that being grateful is not only the key to happiness---but the key to becoming both a better person and closer to God. When you acknowledge all that is good in your life---you are setting yourself up for more and more blessings to come your way. Of course, I still pray in times of struggle---but every prayer first begins with what I’m thankful for.

I also never dreamed that I would have this blog---and all of the incredible people who read it, in my life. I don’t think I ever express enough just how much each and every one of you impacts me. From your comments to your emails to meeting some of you in person, I am just blown away by the kind and supportive women who visit this blog.
When I moved to Houston at 24 years old for love, I literally came here with two suitcases, the clothes on my back and my dear, sweet Lulu. I was very lonely that first year I was here. I yearned to connect with women who were like my friends back home and though planning our wedding was a fun distraction and I eventually met Candice (who is absolutely amazing) I still loved the idea of surrounding myself with a community of women who all shared the same interests.

Enter my blog, and nearly three years later I truly feel like I have made a lot of genuine connections with so many of you. Whether you leave comments and interact with me or you just check out my blog every once in a while, I want to thank you for creating this special community with me and allowing me into your lives as many of you have through email exchanges and on Facebook and Twitter.

It is truly incredible how much your life can change in just a few years and I know my life has changed (for the better) because of so many things---but also because of this blog and because of all of you. I have many, many things to be grateful for and today, on my 29th birthday, I want to say thank you to all of you for what you bring to my life.

(Random photo I love, taken last week on our trip to Toronto)
xoxo,


Veronika.

0 comments:

Post a Comment