A Different Kind of Saturday

Happy Saturday everyone!  On Friday morning I was listening to the news as I was getting ready for work and KPRC said that a local organization was looking for volunteers to pack boxes for Somalia.

I immediately thought, "yup, that's what I'm doing Saturday" which was a surprise to me since I don't really have any regular volunteer commitments at this time.  But the images of famine we've all seen on the news lately are enough to motivate anyone to want to help...it's just devastating to see those kids and families struggling like that.

I think we are all very fortunate to live the lives that we do---to have jobs to go to, a home to live in and food to eat everyday. I don't want to get too sappy here...but you know what I mean. We are all very lucky.

The organization I worked with is called Helping Hand for Relief and Development, a global humanitarian relief and development organization that responds to human sufferings in emergency and disaster situations around the world. In addition to their emergency relief efforts in natural or man-made disasters, they also work on long term relief and development programs.

We worked for several hours in a warehouse and I was first on oatmeal and granola bar duty and then I helped with other things like water, beans, fruit cups, etc.


After the truck was all packed up, we broke down all of the cardboard boxes so they could be recycled.  If you don't have the time to volunteer on a regular basis, I definitely recommend doing something like this where you can just sign up to help out for a day.

Switching topics now...
After volunteering, I stopped off at Ulta to return my "No More Waity Katie" nail polish (thank goodness I kept the receipt).  I ended up exchanging it for Butter London's "Teddy Girl" which seems to get great reviews. I also picked up Benefit's "They're Real" mascara after hearing Tiffany D raving about it.  I ended up returning the Maybelline Falsies flared mascara without even having used it after so many of you told me it was not good in the comments section of my blog yesterday. Thanks for the heads-up ladies!

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!

xoxo,

Veronika.

0 comments:

Post a Comment